Principal Systems EngineerApply Now
As a Principal Systems Engineer you will have an expert knowledge of the Linux OS and a passion for automating systems configuration, security hardening, new technology deployments, monitoring, metrics collection, and more. The position is highly technical and balanced between engineering operations roles such as systems configuration management and software development. The ideal candidate must also be able to act as a change agent for culture, monitoring/metrics evolvement and knowledge sharing.
- Automate all the things!
- Collaborate with Product Management, Operations, Development and Quality Engineering teams on delivering the right infrastructure, scale, performance, high availability and monitoring while doing so safely and without customer impact.
- Code new build, test, deploy and other kinds of operations tools in Bash, Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, and/or Go.
- Work on implementing configuration management solutions using Puppet.
- Evaluate current development and web operations procedures, recommend and implement tools and practices to increase efficiency and repeatability.
- Configure, deploy, and run Open Source Software.
- Maintain strong expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products.
- Enjoy and thrive in an agile, fast-moving environment.
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Expert-level knowledge of Linux OS, including provisioning techniques, hardening and performance tuning.
- A minimum of 7 years experience in development or web operations for web-based applications.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and take on new technologies.
- Experience with a highly available and scalable SaaS.
- Have a broad understanding of development, web operations, SDLC, etc.
- Possess a good grasp on networking and common protocols.
Strong technical foundation in several of the following technologies:
- Linux: RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu
- Virtualization: VMWare, Xen, KVM, VirtualBox, Vagrant
- Cloud computing: Openstack, AWS
- Configuration management: Puppet, Chef, Mcollective. Ansible
- Provisioning: Kickstart, Cobbler
- Build and packaging tools: Yum, RPM, FPM
- Continuous integration tools: Jenkins, Hudson
- SCM tools: GIT, SVN, Perforce, Mercurial
- Scripting languages: Shell, Ruby/JRuby, Perl, Python
- Application servers, servlet containers, and web servers: JBoss, Tomcat, Jetty, Apache
- Monitoring tools: Nagios, Graphite, Grafana, Cacti, Statsd
- Infrastructure technologies: RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Cassandra, LDAP, Redis
- Network and protocols: Load Balancers, switches, TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP